Tags

, ,

The monthly stitch challenge for february was “Smarty pants”.

Making trousers and pants are not normally high on my sewing list for two main reasons.

  1. I love my RTW jeans and shorts. I can always find a pair that suits and fits so feel no need to make my own.
  2. Being a perfect pair shaped girl, I find my small waist, larger hip and sway back tricky to fit and find a suitable pattern for.

The amount of pants that I have made would fit on one hand.  Of  those, there is only one pair that I wear regularly – a pair of wide leg white linen pants (a hybrid of the Style arc – Peta and Kerry patterns)

For this challenge I had a definite picture in my mind of what I wanted.   A pair of black floral pants like these.

So the fabric I was searching for was a stretch cotton sateen, that had a floral pattern (with aqua in it) on a black background.

I fell way short, and this black with Hydrangeas was the best that I could come up with.  Regrettably it is quilters cotton and it is not great for pants.

The pattern I used was the Lisette Portfolio pattern.  This extremely popular pattern is now out of print.  It is known for the tunic but the pants aren’t to be ignored.

They are great style – flat front with yoke that sits on the hip and a side zip closure.  I omitted the waist tabs.

The pattern is well drafted and like all of Leisel Gibson’s patterns the instructions are thorough, yet clear and concise.

I made a muslin from a cotton poplin and found that some minor adjustments were needed. I added about 1″ to the centre back and a few cm’s on the hips.  I needn’t have fussed as they ended up big – wearable but roomy.  

They are just … not me and Susie and my hubby tend to agree.  Hubby questioned my intentions of actually wearing them out of the house.  This pair may end up as shorts.

I haven’t given up and will keep this pattern on hot standby.  If I find the right material I will make them again.

Advertisements