Tags

, ,

The theme for the January Monthly Stitch was “New year – new skill”.  After sewing the swimwear late last year I really wanted to try and conquer sewing with elastic.  In particular undies elastic – you know the pretty stuff with the picot or decorative edge.  I have a few sheets of it that I got from a antique store for $3 each, it was just screaming to be used.

 

So I decided to make myself a summer PJ set consisting of a pair of undies, a short nightie (singlet) and a bralette.

 

The  undies patterns are from The Makers Journal.  I used the tried and true knickers and also the bloomer patterns.

The Bralette is from Ohh lulu and chose this one because it is designed for woven fabrics cut on the bias.  I have always want to try one of these patterns and this month she opened an etsy store just for her lingerie sewing patterns.

The shirt is Blue Ginger Dolls latest pattern – the Sherri singlet.  As soon as I saw it released I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

 

The Details

Fabric and supplies purchased from Spotlight including

  • 2m of pink gingham
  • 1m Reprodepot Dandelions
  • 50cm Beige knit for lining

Total cost of outfit $38

The Undies Patterns

Pattern – Tried and True Knickers and Bloomers by The Makers Journal

Both patterns only have three pieces.  The front and back are cut on the bias, on the fold in a woven fabric.  A small piece of knit is needed for the gusset.

Pre Printed pattern, sealed in vacuum bag with small sample fabric scrap

Sent by mail from Melbourne $19.95 AUD ea plus postage

Thoughts

Both patterns sizes were a little on the small side.  I am a straight AU size 12 and ended up grading the pattern to equivalent of a size 16.  They are designed to sit low on the hip, but it was a little too low for me so I added an extra two inches to the top of both patterns.

The contrast fabric shows how much fabric I needed to add to the top for modesty.

The bloomers have more of a boy leg.  I have made 3 of these so far, adjusting the pattern, varying the size and the amount of elastic around the leg. I still can’t get them just right.  

Pamela has written a great post on her blog about how to attach knicker elastic.  After making 4 pairs, I have it nailed and am very happy with the results.

The Bralette

Pattern –  Bambi Soft Bra by Ohh Lulu

3 piece soft cup bra cut on the bias for woven fabrics.  The bottom has an elastic band and the top is finished with decorative elastic for a better fit.  Made with back bra fastener and adjustable straps.

Digital pattern – Instant download from Etsy $10USD

Thoughts

Love the pattern.  So surprisingly easy to make and looks so cute.   Instructions are easy to follow and the steps are intuitive. I attached a 1.5 inch bra faster to the back.  I didn’t make the adjustable straps. Instead I used some left over bias tape that I had made and attached in to 4 inches of pink elastic.  I attached it to the front and back to fit.  The small amount of elastic allows for movement.

Looks great …. but this one I have made does not fit me.  The cups are too small and the back is not wide enough.  

The Singlet

Pattern – Sherri singlet by Blue ginger Doll

A-line singlet made from the front and back piece cut on the fold. Neckline, armholes and straps finished with bias binding and tied at the shoulder.

Digital pattern – Instant download from Etsy $7.50AUD

Thoughts

I like the idea and simple style of this pattern, though there were a few things to note.

When I use digital patterns I only print the pages with the pattern pieces I need. I read the instructions either from my computer or ipad.  This patterns instructions were formatted landscape, so they showed sideways on my screen.

Also the different sizes of the pattern didn’t have different style line markings eg dots and dashes.  So more indications of which line was which size would be handy. 

The neck are armholes are finished with bias tape.  I chose to make my own in contrast fabric using the 25mm clover bias tape maker.  Normally the bias would be tied at the shoulder for the strap.  As this was a sleep shirt I decided to attach the bias with a 3 inch gap between the front and back to create a permanent strap.

The fit based on measurements was good however the armholes are quite large.   It does gape and you can obviously see your bra.  If the straps were tied, it could be fixed by tying them higher but that would then raise the neckline.

Would I make these patterns again? 

Yes – I have another set of fabric and notions to make another 3 piece set.  

I will give the bloomers one last go then go back to the tried and true pattern.

Even though the bralette didn’t fit – it was a success and it looks great. I will fuss with adjusting the cup pieces and maybe go up to the largest size.

The Sherri singlet is a great shortie nightie and will be making another.  I probably would not make this pattern as an everyday top.  Although the ties are cute, they are too thin and I like my bra straps to remain unseen.

Summary

Overall I am pretty happy with the end result.  I got to try out 3 new independent Pattern designers and I mastered sewing undies elastic.

For $38 I made a nightie, a bralette (that doesn’t fit) and 4 pairs of knickers.  Now that I have taken the photos I can give them a test run tonight!

Advertisements