I made my daughter the Adelle dress from Violette Field Threads, This fabric has been taunting me in my stash for a while now. I bought it from the Fabric Store and have not been to sure on how to use it. The stripe was quite obviously off grain. Not on the bias but just off enough to be annoying.
A decision had to be made – cut on grain or stripes across the body? Then how was I going to match the stripes. I gave up, put the pattern pieces on the fabric (on the grain) and just CUT IT! Didn’t even bother to try and match the stripes and just hoped for the best.
Adele is a simple child’s t-shirt dress with a few extra details that make it special. The back of the dress is made in two pieces to create a ruffle across the lower back. An additional square of fabric is gathered and added to the top of that to create the look of a bustle.
My girl is 8 and so I made the biggest size. I only had 1.5m of fabric. The ruffles were cut creatively to make the best use of what I had. The top one is a few pieces of scraps creatively joined to form the pattern piece.
The neckline, sleeves and hem are faced with 1cm knit stay tape then folded and stitched down using a twin needle.
The only mod I made was omitting the centre gather on the sleeves.
A simple dress, that is easy to make. The ruffles make it just that little bit more special