The pattern arrived on Thursday and I gave myself an unrealistic goal to have it done by Saturday.
Steph C from Cake Patterns has been doing demonstrations at the show all week and I wanted to wear it so I could show it off.
I chose to make the “A” bust size bodice to reduce the amount of fabric under the sleeve. Steph has details on her blog about lengthening the toso. I added 3″ to the torso, however only 1.5″ would have been sufficient. The weight of the skirt does drag the fabric down.
A quick and dirty fix of folding the excess fabric at the bust seam made the dress wearable on the day!
Cake patterns stray from the traditional forms of pattern measurement. They use the high bust measurement to determine the main size. Individual pattern pieces are then created uniquely by marking on the pattern to join your measurements. For example my pattern was a 35 bust and 32 waist. The waist piece I created for my pattern then fitted into the appropriate bodice and skirt pieces. There was a little bit of fiddling but nothing too difficult to figure out.
There is a Red Velvet Sew Along starting on Nov 11. The sew along will be 10 sessions over a 2 week period that will cover all of the stages of making the dress.
In black the dress is a little boring, but it is very easy to dress up with accessories. For whatever reason I dont think this dress is very flattering on me. The neckline is possible too high; I think it makes me look busty and instead of accentuating my tiny waist it draws attention to my larger hips.
Overall the Red Velvet dress is very wearable and comfortable. Mine is made in a fairly stable black merino knit. The neckline is not too low, the sleeves are not to tight and the skirt is not too short. A good wardrobe basic.